I am a great lover of routines. I love planning them. I love the first few days of implementing them. I do not love waking up a few weeks later and realizing that I have abandoned the routines that held such promise only a few days before.
Even so, as I laid down this evening to spend an hour and a half with a book, I realized that there are some routines that are working impeccably for me this fall, and some that I want to implement as I move forward.
- Weekday: I love my morning cup of coffee, even if I have to drink it at school. That first sip of caffeine, even if it’s not much sends a small sense of calmness into my day.
- Weekend: Oh that Saturday cup… in a real mug, on the couch with a book. Love.
- Writing my “Morning Message” before I leave work for the day. I don’t always want to do it, but I always regret it the next morning when I haven’t. Taking the extra 5 minutes, and it’s really just that, 5 minutes and a little extra brain power, makes my days so much better.
- Looking at the kids’ writing notebooks before I leave for the day. Again, an extra 15-30 minutes saves me an infinite amount of stress
- Likewise, making photocopies the night before, makes life so much easier the next day.
- Today, instead of watching mindless TV, I sat down with my book, and read for 90 minutes. I was so grateful for that time. It felt longer than it would have if I had watched TV, and my brain felt healthier too.
- Sunday: Make lunches for the following week, plan schedule for the week
- Monday: Clean living room
- Tuesday: Clean up bedroom
- Wednesday: Clean up bathroom
- Thursday: Clean up kitchen
- Friday/Saturday: Grocery Shopping